This entry was originally published at Darkest Before Dawn
For part one and useful links about the Glasgow to Loch Lomond route please see the post here.
Bowling to Loch Lomond
The path from the Bowling Memorial Park is wooded and offered some nice shade on a warm morning. This section also as some of the few gradients on the route and even then they are nothing that should bother anyone who is aiming to cycle 20 miles. Twice you have to dismount and cross a road before rejoining the path. The second crossing is at the exit and entrance to a busy roundabout so care should be taken map
After crossing the road the path runs behind Milton, wiki, with the railway on one side and a nature area with reed ponds on the other. I take it there would be some information about this but I didn’t spot any, to be honest I didn’t spot them at all until I was on the way back. The path now reaches the outskirts of Dumbarton, wiki, satellite, and there is some on road cycling.
In Dumbarton I had the only mishap of the day, just after I crossed the road to go over Dumbarton Bridge my back wheel stuck! It had come loose some how, luckily I was not cycling at the time. I quickly reset it and made sure it was secure. Now the farside of Dumbarton Bridge has a slight mystery. If you check out this satellite photo Dumbarton Bridge is at the bottom and the route is signed posted to follow the road round to the left and up the hill then the you are directed down the back of the tower blocks. However there is a cycle path that runs from the end of the bridge which would avoid this detour. I took the photos below from Dumbarton Bridge on my way back.
No comments:
Post a Comment